- We Offer 24/7 Emergency Service
- Schedule Service
How to Prepare Your Furnace for Winter
Winter isn’t far off, which means that you’ll want to start preparing your home for when the temperature begins to drop sometime this spring. One of the most important parts of your preparation should be to make sure that your furnace will be ready to heat your home properly.
Furnace Preparation Tips
The following are a few tips for making sure that your furnace will be in optimal working condition so that you can depend on it to get you through the winter comfortably and safely:
- Check your filters – Make sure that there’s a clean filter in your furnace before you begin using it. A dirty filter will make it difficult for the furnace to effectively distribute heat throughout your home, thereby also making it work inefficiently. Once you begin using your furnace, be sure to check your filters every month to see if they should be cleaned or replaced.
- Clean the area around the furnace – Odds are you haven’t used your furnace for months. This means that there’s a chance that the area around your furnace is dirty. You may have even stored boxes or other items near or around the furnace itself. It’s important that you clear the area around the furnace and sweep away any debris to avoid a potential fire hazard once you begin using it.
- Clean the vents – Go around your home and use a screwdriver to remove the metal cover from your vents. Using the extension on your vacuum cleaner, clean the vent of any dust and debris. This will ensure that once you do begin using your furnace, the heat being produced won’t be obstructed and your home’s air quality won’t be diminished.
- Have the air ducts cleaned – If it’s been a while since you’ve cleaned out your air ducts, then you should consider hiring a professional to do so. Any dust or debris that builds up within your air ducts is not only going to obstruct the flow of heat through your home, but could hurt your air quality as well.
- Schedule a professional inspection – A professional inspector will do a thorough check up and tune up of your furnace. They will inspect the components of your furnace to make sure that no repairs or replacements are needed. In many cases, an inspection can reveal minor issues that can become serious problems if left ignored. The inspector will also clean dirty parts and add lubricant to moving parts where needed. Basically, an inspection will help to ensure that your furnace will run effectively and efficiently and help reduce the risk of it breaking down during the winter when you’re depending on it most.
Follow these tips to make sure that your furnace is ready to heat your home effectively and efficiently by the time winter rolls around. To schedule a professional furnace inspection in the Hanover, PA or the surrounding area before winter hits, be sure to contact us at Strive Heating & Cooling today.
Keith was super friendly and good about explaining everything he was doing. He was really quick and the service was a really great price! Answered all my questions and gave me options. Will definitely be calling them again!- Sarah J
Strive is wonderful. This company is professional, explains things thoroughly and responds quickly. I appreciate a company that doesn't jump right to the most expensive fix. I feel confident when I recommend them to my friends and family.- Laura B
Timely to the second... AC working in minutes!- Rebecca M
They replaced my entire system and couldn't be happier. Great work for a great price. Thanks again!- Kevin B